The events of the last few days have left most of us feeling sad, scared, frustrated, or angry, as well as a bunch of other emotions. Our City has been locked down, and in many ways, broken down. And these events have both exposed and caused great hurt, pain and frustration in the people of Durban and SA.
We want to be a people of prayer who turn to Jesus and trust in Jesus at all times. Here are some points to help guide your prayer.
Start by meditating on these two passages and their application for us, in what we’re all experiencing.
Psalm 62v5-8: “Rest in God alone, my soul,
for my hope comes from him.
6 He alone is my rock and my salvation,
my stronghold; I will not be shaken.
7 My salvation and glory depend on God, my strong rock.
My refuge is in God.
8 Trust in him at all times, you people;
pour out your hearts before him.
God is our refuge. Selah”
- There is rest in God, despite our circumstances.
- There is hope in God, despite our circumstances.
- God is our rock: A solid, unshakeable place to stand and build our lives, at all times.
- God is our refuge: We can hide in God, seek safety and security in Him.
- God is trustworthy, always.
- God invites us to pour out our hearts to Him: To pour out our fears, worries, anxiety, stresses, sadness etc in His presence. To lament to Him.
Philippians 4v6-7: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
As you pray, bring the things that are causing you anxiety to God. Ask Him for the things you need, and believe that your needs can be met in Him. Ask Him to guard your heart and mind, your emotions and thoughts, with His peace. And later, if you don’t feel at peace, pray again and rest in His peace.
Our President and for National and Local Leaders (1 Timothy 2v1-2):
- For wisdom as they make decisions
- For clarity and decisiveness on the right actions to take
- For rest and refreshing in a highly pressured time
For Peace, Unity, Healing and Justice in our City and Nation
For those who are Hurting, Hungry and Hopeless
For protection and safety for the Citizens of our Nation
For the SANDF and the Police
For Business Owners, Entrepreneurs and Employees
For opportunities to share about the Hope, Peace and Salvation found in Jesus.
- For people to turn to Jesus at this time
- For people to turn back to God at this time
For those with COVID, for their loved ones, and for our Medical Workers
Ask the Holy Spirit if there is anything He would have you do today?